Video marketing trends for 2023 | What's next for video marketing?
Video is one of the most popular forms of communication in the world, and it's going to become even more important in 2023. Video is evolving into an increasingly powerful form of communication and expression.
In fact, we've already seen how videos can be used for everything from news reporting to marketing campaigns. We also noticed the rise in popularity of shorter videos (15–30 seconds) on platforms such as TikTok, YouTube Shorts or Instagram Reels. And that's just scratching the surface of where this medium could go!
Do you want to stay ahead of the curve in the world of video editing? Let’s take a look at the video marketing trends 2023 brings!
Understanding the Current Video Editing Market
To be able to analyze video marketing trends of the future, we need to understand the status quo.
Video editing has come a long way in recent years, and this becomes obvious when we look at the time it takes to complete a video project. According to our internal data, the average time it takes to edit a video, from import to export, has decreased by an astonishing 94% since 2021. This means that what once took hours, can now be accomplished in just 8 minutes.
In addition to the time saved in the editing process, the length of videos being created is also changing. Flixier's data shows that in 2022, 45.5% of videos were under 2 minutes in length, with an accelerated growth towards videos under 1 minute in the last quarter.
One of the key trends driving these changes is the increased use of cloud-based workflows. 17% of video editors are now using only cloud workflows, meaning they import resources from the cloud, edit in the cloud, and export in the cloud or on targeted platforms.
Another trend that Flixier's data highlights is the use of subtitles in video editing. From analyzing 3.15 million projects, we found that 27% of them used subtitles, with a tie between auto-generated and manually added ones.
Overall, these insights demonstrate how the video editing industry is evolving thanks to new technologies and strategies which allow for faster and more efficient video creation.
Top Video Marketing Trends for 2023
As the world becomes more and more digital, the importance of video in business and personal communication continues to grow. Video editing has evolved with new technologies and software, and is becoming more accessible and user-friendly for people of all skill levels.
While we look ahead to 2023, it is important to stay informed about emerging video editing trends. What’s up for video editing in 2023?
Video Content Trends: How We Create Videos
1. Producing Videos Will Become Easier
One of the most significant trends in video marketing is the ease of producing videos. Thanks to advancements in technology and software, it's becoming increasingly easier for people to create high-quality videos, even if they don’t have extensive video editing experience.
A key trend that is making video production easier is the rise of cloud-based video editing. Cloud-based video editing allows users to access their projects and tools from anywhere, collaborate on projects in real-time, and store and share files more efficiently. This makes it easier to create videos remotely while keeping in touch with teammates or clients.
Additionally, some cloud-based video editing platforms provide AI-powered editing tools, which can make the video editing process even more intuitive and user-friendly. As Kieran Flanagan (SVP Marketing at HubSpot) recently said: "By the end of this decade, there will be two types of companies: those who've made Al part of their business, and those who've gone out of business. Act Accordingly."
Right now, for instance, AI can analyze footage and provide automatic recommendations to streamline the editing process. It also includes pre-built templates and simple drag-and-drop interfaces which makes it easy for users to edit videos without the need for advanced technical skills.
2. Subtitles and Auto-Captions Will Become a Must
As social media usage continues to grow, the importance of subtitles in video content is becoming increasingly apparent. Not only do subtitles grab the viewer's attention, they also promote engagement and increase watch time, all while making your content more accessible. This is especially important when you consider that 85% of Facebook users and 80% of LinkedIn users scroll through their feeds with the sound off, according to Nieman Journalism Lab.
Adding subtitles and auto-captions also helps increase accessibility, making your content more inclusive for viewers who may be deaf or hard of hearing, or who may be in a public place where listening to a video would be disruptive.
3. We Will See More Diverse Videos
As the total time spent watching videos continues to increase, we can expect to see a wider variety of videos in the coming years. In particular, both user-generated and brand-generated content will play a larger role in the online video marketing trends.
User-generated content (UGC) is created by viewers, and can take many forms, including tests, testimonials, reviews, use cases, success stories, and complaints. This type of content is valuable because it provides a real-world, authentic perspective on a product or service. It can also be a powerful marketing tool for companies, as it can influence the purchasing decisions of potential customers.
This unboxing video made by a customer is the first thing that comes up when you Google the name of that camera bag. It’s a perfect example of beneficial user generated content, since it shows potential buyers everything they need to know about the product and is arguably more informative than the official product page itself.
Brand-generated content (BGC), on the other hand, is created by companies and is used to promote their products and services. BGC may include product presentations, demos, and personalized product tours. This type of content is a valuable tool for companies to showcase their products or services and educate potential customers about their features and benefits
4. Trending Audios Are Here to Stay
Incorporating audio into video content can add an extra layer of engagement and interest to the viewer. For example, using background music, or sound effects, can create an emotional connection with the audience, and adding a voice-over to a video can make it more informative and captivating.
Incorporating trending audio into your video marketing strategy can greatly enhance the results. Some of the benefits include:
- Greater Brand Recognition: Using original audio in your social media videos will make your brand stand out by appealing to both the ears and eyes of the audience.
- Increased Audience Engagement: As social media networks such as TikTok or Instagram prioritize content that uses popular songs or sounds, incorporating them into your materials can lead to higher engagement with your brand.
In fact, if you want to gain more popularity on social media, you can be the one who creates the audio content. Creating trending audio requires a combination of creativity and understanding of what people are looking for. It is about finding the right balance between being unique and creating something that appeals to a wide audience. To create trending audio, one must stay up to date with the latest trends in music and audio production, understand the audience's preferences, experiment with different sounds and beats, and be open to feedback.
Video Distribution: How and Where to Share Video Content
5. More Platforms Will Up Their Video Content Strategy
As video content becomes increasingly popular, more and more platforms are looking to up their video strategy to attract and engage users. While the video component was already vital in the YouTube content strategy or Facebook content strategy, platforms like LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google search and many more are now investing in video content as a way to stand out from the competition. For example, YouTube will start sharing ad money with Shorts creators on February 1st.
Businesses and content creators should be aware of these changes and be ready to adapt their video strategy accordingly. By creating and publishing more video content on these platforms, they can reach new audiences and establish themselves as thought leaders in their industry.
6. Produce Once & Repurpose the Video for Multiple Platforms
In today's digital landscape, video is a powerful tool for reaching and engaging audiences on multiple platforms. With that in mind, one of the most efficient ways for businesses and content creators to get the most out of their video content is to produce once, and then repurpose the video for multiple platforms.
This can be done by creating a single, high-quality video and then adapting it for different platforms and formats. For example, a video created for YouTube can also be adapted for social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook, by cutting it down to shorter, more easily consumable lengths. Or you can turn an Instagram live video into a YouTube short (especially given that we are dealing with vertical videos for mobile devices). You can also turn it into a GIF or into a video for a website or for an event. The possibilities are endless.
7. Video Ads Will Become (Even) More Popular
Video advertising is becoming an increasingly popular way for businesses to reach and engage audiences. As a result, we can expect to see video advertising trends become even more popular in the coming years. Google is planning on launching App campaigns, with Video action and Performance Max in 2023, which will make video ads more accessible and effective for businesses.
According to Wordsteam, video ads have an average click-through rate of 1.84%, the highest of all digital ad formats. This means that video ads are highly effective at capturing the attention of viewers and driving them to take action. In addition, video ads are also well-suited to building brand awareness and driving engagement with audiences.
Video Amplification: What Is the Added Value?
8. We Will Be Seeing More Interactive/Shoppable Videos
In the coming year, we can expect to see a rise in interactive and shoppable videos. This type of video allows businesses to create an immersive, in-app or in-platform shopping experience that is seamless and convenient for the customer.
Interactive and shoppable videos allow customers to make purchases directly from the video without the need to search for links or redirect to other websites. Instead, the customer can browse, select, and purchase products while they are watching the video. This helps create a more seamless and enjoyable shopping experience that doesn't disrupt the customer's engagement with the content.
9. The Rise of Educational Videos
Brands should leverage educational videos in their social media strategies to effectively engage with target audiences, boost brand awareness and increase conversions. Educational videos are an engaging and powerful way for brands to communicate key messages, promote products or services, educate the audience about their offerings and encourage visitors to take action.
Educational videos can be used to explain how a product or service works (the so-called “how to” videos”, demonstrate how it solves customers’ problems, provide advice on how to use it effectively, or even provide insight into the brand’s values and mission. This type of content is especially effective at increasing engagement rates, as it encourages viewers to interact with the content by asking questions and providing feedback. Furthermore, educational videos also have the potential to go viral if they are creative and informative.
Wix offers a platform to help people create and host websites easily. On their YouTube channel, they uploaded a full course teaching users how to optimize and monetize the blogs they create using the platform.
10. Video SEO Will Become a Sought After Skill
Creating search optimized videos is an increasingly popular skill in social media marketing that more and more businesses are beginning to recognize the importance of. As technology advances, so too does the need for professionals who can optimize video content for visibility in search engine results. With the right strategies, video SEO can boost a company’s online presence and provide additional benefits such as higher engagement rates, improved brand recognition, and increased ROI.
One of the most important aspects of successful video SEO is creating content that appeals to both users and search engine algorithms alike. This includes crafting titles, descriptions, and tags that accurately describe the video content while also utilizing targeted keywords, so it can be easily picked up by search engines. Additionally, videos should be optimized for watch time and user engagement in order to ensure better rankings on YouTube and other platforms.
Make the Most out of Video Marketing Strategies by Hopping on These Trends!
The video marketing industry is constantly evolving and as we look ahead to 2023, it is important to stay informed about the latest trends that are shaping the future of video marketing.
From the use of subtitled videos to the integration of AI, these trends have the potential to have a significant impact on how videos are created and consumed.
To stay competitive in today's digital landscape, it's essential to stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies in the video marketing industry. By keeping these trends in mind, businesses can create effective and engaging videos that will resonate with their target audience.
Create a Flixier account and start your video editing journey to make the most out of these video marketing trends!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Will there be a ChatGPT for video? Will video editing be replaced by AI?
No. It is likely that there will be developments in AI-assisted video editing in the future, but it is unlikely that AI will completely replace human editors.
AI can assist with tasks such as video scripts, workflows, and the creation of unique assets like backgrounds, illustrations, and music. However, the creativity and artistic vision of human editors will always be necessary in the video production process.
2. Should more businesses invest in video marketing?
Indeed! Video is a powerful medium that can help businesses to connect with their audience, build brand awareness, and increase sales.
Video marketing can be used to tell a company's story, introduce new products or services, or demonstrate how to use a product.
Only using the word "video" in an email subject line increases the open rate by 19% and the click-through rate by 65%, as mentioned by Syndacast. It is also a great way to create engagement and drive traffic to a website, and also it is one of the most shared type of content on social media.
3. What are the constraints of video creation for businesses?
While video marketing is arguably one of the best marketing strategies for businesses, marketers can face some constraints. These include:
- Lack of resources: Creating high-quality videos can be time-consuming and expensive, and may require specialized equipment and software. Some organizations may not have the resources or budget to allocate towards video production.
- Lack of expertise: Even if an organization has the resources to create videos, they may not have the necessary expertise in-house. Video production often requires specific skills and knowledge, such as scriptwriting, videography, and video editing.
- Limited demand: Depending on the industry and target audience, there may not be a high demand for video content. Some organizations may not see the value in investing in video production if it is not a key part of their marketing strategy.
- Time constraints: Video production can be a time-consuming process, from planning and scripting to shooting and editing. This can be a challenge for organizations with limited time and resources
4. What are the challenges of video marketing?
There are several challenges that businesses may face when it comes to video marketing:
- Producing high-quality video content: Creating engaging and high-quality video content can be time-consuming and expensive, especially when you are not aware of cloud-based solutions such as Flixier.
- Reaching the target audience: Identifying the target audience and finding the right platforms to reach them can be challenging, especially in a crowded digital space.
- Measuring success: It can be difficult to measure the success of video marketing campaigns and determine their ROI.
- Keeping up with the latest trends: Video marketing is a constantly evolving field, and staying up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices can be challenging.
- Keeping the video content fresh: Once a video is published, it can be hard to update the content.
- Privacy and legal concerns: Organizations may have legal or privacy concerns when producing videos of their products, services, or employees.
- Ad-blocking software: Some users may use ad-blocking software which makes it hard for the businesses to reach their target audience.
- Video SEO: creating search optimized videos can be challenging, as search engines currently don't crawl through video content in the same way as text-based content.
Despite these challenges, video marketing can be a powerful tool for businesses to connect with their target audience and achieve their marketing goals. With a well-planned strategy, businesses can overcome these challenges and achieve success with their video marketing efforts.
5. How do you attract audience attention in a video?
There are several ways to attract audience attention in a video:
- A catchy intro: A good video introduction can capture the audience's attention and set the tone for the rest of the video. This could be an interesting or surprising fact, a question, or a statement that will make the viewer want to know more.
- Use visuals: The use of visually appealing elements such as graphics, images, and animations can help to grab the viewer's attention.
- Tell a story: Telling a story through the video can make it more engaging and help to hold the viewer's attention.
- Use humor: Humor can be a great way to grab the viewer's attention and make the video more enjoyable to watch.
- Use of music and sound effects: The use of music and sound effects can also help to capture the viewer's attention and add an emotional dimension to the video.
- Use of subtitles: Providing subtitles in the video can make it accessible to a wider audience and also grab the attention of the viewer who might be watching the video in a noisy environment.
- Keep it short and sweet: Long videos may lose the viewer's attention, so it is recommended to keep videos short and to the point.
- Call-to-action: Encourage the viewer to take action, such as visiting a website or signing up for a newsletter, can help to hold their attention until the end of the video.
Overall, it is important to remember that the key to holding the viewer's attention is to create engaging and relevant content that is tailored to your target audience.
6. Why is video marketing so powerful?
Video marketing is powerful for several reasons:
- High Engagement: Videos are more engaging than text or images and can hold the viewer's attention for longer periods of time. This can increase the chances of them remembering your brand and message.
- Emotional Impact: Videos can create an emotional connection with the viewer, which can increase the chances of them taking action.
- Versatility: Videos can be used for a variety of purposes, such as product demos, tutorials, customer testimonials, and brand storytelling. This flexibility allows businesses to reach their target audience in a variety of ways.
7. What is the best length of video ads?
The best length for video ads can vary depending on the platform and the purpose of the ad. However, some general guidelines video marketers should consider are:
- Short-form videos (up to 15 seconds): These are best for social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok, where users have short attention spans and are scrolling through their feeds quickly.
- Mid-form videos (15 seconds to 2 minutes): These are ideal for platforms like Facebook and YouTube, where users are more likely to watch longer videos. Mid-form videos allow you to provide more information and tell a more in-depth story.
- Long-form videos (over 2 minutes): These are best for in-depth product demos, how-to videos, or brand storytelling. These videos are usually watched by users who are already interested in your product or service.
It's important to note that the best length for your video ad will depend on your target audience and what you are trying to achieve with your ad.
8. Why short videos are more effective?
With the rise of short video platforms, more and more video marketers choose to create this type of content. And they're not wrong! Short videos are more effective for several reasons:
- Attention span: People have short attention spans, especially when browsing social media. Short videos are more likely to grab their attention and hold it until the end.
- Mobile-friendly: Short videos are more mobile-friendly, as they take up less space and can be easily consumed on-the-go.
- Easy to share: Short videos are easy to share on social media platforms, which can help to increase brand awareness and drive website traffic.
- Cost-effective: Short videos are cheaper and faster to produce than longer videos. This can be especially beneficial for small businesses with limited budget and resources.
- Memory retention: Short videos are easier to remember and recall, as they have a clear and concise message, and most of the times they include a call to action.
- Multipurpose: Short videos can be used for a variety of purposes, such as product demos, tutorials, customer testimonials, and brand storytelling.
However, it's important to note that the length of the video is not the only factor that determines its effectiveness. The most important is to keep the video ad engaging and focus on the message or call to action.