From hobby to the Pro league: an aspiring video editor’s guide
B-rolls, jump cuts, frame rates, rendering - if these terms arouse your curiosity and you wish to become a video editor, you’ve come to the right place. Going from an aspiring video editor to the professional leagues and making a name for yourself in the video editing industry is not an unattainable goal, as long as you’re truly passionate about making the world a more beautiful place through motion pictures. If you’re wondering what is a video editor, what are good video editing apps packed with, what editing software is the best, and, ultimately, how to land jobs in editing videos, keep on reading.
If you’ve ever wondered what is a video editor, think of them as magicians responsible for adding some ribbons and sparkle into a hat, then pulling out a bunny to make the crowd go wild with applause, except you can replace the “magic ingredients” with videos. So, without further ado on how to edit videos, a storytelling expert who can craft captivating footage from raw materials is the short answer to the age-old “what is a video editor?” question. Here are some of the responsibilities that you need to consider if you’ve started wondering how to become a video editor:
- Using professional video editing software
- Cutting and trimming to select the best footage
- Working with various multimedia projects, from video to audio, images, animations, or even gifs and in-video text
- Adding transitions to create a smooth and engaging flow
- Adding effects and color-correcting to make sure brand guidelines are creatively met
- Integrating text or visual elements in videos
- Seamlessly incorporating sound effects and background audio for a holistic viewing experience
- Taking control of… time? Timing through precision is the kind of magic we believe in as we’re constantly seeing many talented video editors hit the perfect cues.
The power of video branding alone is a bulletproof argument, but video editors account for so much more than just that. The latest video marketing trends emphasize the skyrocketing growth and importance of this type of content in any digital marketing strategy for the foreseeable future. CISCO stats show that video editing is predicted to account for over 82% of digital consumer traffic in 2024, so it only makes sense to put a brand’s image in the hands of a capable video editor. A video editor is responsible for conveying messages in both an efficient and creative manner. Their role is to captivate entire audiences by crafting engaging content, all whilst sticking to a strict set of requirements and rules. In the end, a video editor’s purpose is to inspire and inform viewers, all whilst making a lasting impression that results in enhanced brand awareness and creating a real connection with viewers.
Don’t shy away from checking out what others are doing. There’s no exact science on how to become a video editor for YouTube, TikTok, or other social media platforms, but they sure are a great place to start looking for inspiration. This experimental stage can help you find your own style.
Choosing the right tool for video editing can be a bit of a pain if you’ve not experimented with at least a couple to get a real feel. We’ve compiled a checklist of features that any premium program or software should sport, but not be limited to:
- Filter out unwanted footage as you cut videos.
- Adjust any frames with the crop video feature.
- Add your personal touch with video filters for your own style
- Go for a tool that allows you to add text to video through a wide variety of fonts and styles
- Any top-tier tool should give you the power to bend time as you speed up or slow down videos.
- Not a must, but clearly, a nice to have is a built-in feature to help you edit YouTube videos. Platform-specific requirements can easily be met with a powerful social media video maker, so it may be worth having a look into those too.
- While on the topic of social media, safe zones for social media are features that make any video editor’s life easier, so you can avoid interface overlaps before they even become an issue.
- You may need to add a watermark to videos, so keep that in mind as well.
- A great tip is to automate your workflow with a video enhancer that can fix bad lighting in a couple of clicks. After all, looks do matter in video editing.
- The need to remove unwanted background noise like buzzing or humming is achievable without having to download a third-party tool. Go for a video editor that’s got a built-in audio enhancer feature so you can work your sound magic in the same playing field.
- Statistically and practically speaking, captions are a must, especially with social media videos. Opt for a tool that can help you streamline this process with an automated captions maker feature.
- Check out this comprehensive list of all the video editing tools you could ever need and make an informed choice.
We might be a bit biased when recommending the best online video editor, but here’s a piece of advice that will help you become a bona fide editing expert: experiment with multiple video editing apps or software, until you find your favorite. There can never be too much knowledge, and gaining expertise with various tools and technologies can only boost your chances of landing your dream video editor job.
A great video editor not only brings hard skills to the table but graciously complements them with soft skills as well. These are some of the skills you might want to take a jab at developing and improving as an aspiring video editor:
Professional: have a look at what program movie editors use and choose the one that you love the most, then practice, practice & more practice (for portfolio purposes, we’ll get back to this). Master the fundamentals of all the basic video editing tools, and don’t hesitate to slowly move up to more advanced features (again) with more practice. Polish your visual design skills, as you’ll be working with visual elements and text. Take a crack at editing audio as well, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised that it makes your learning experience that much more fun, and in the end, you’ll have gained another valuable skill.
🪄We’ve asked our experts about a secret tip on how to become a video editor and rock it: dabble in video storytelling techniques and color grading, as well as special effects to step up your video editing game.
Personal: Time management and a clear vision that helps with completing a project are essential to anyone aspiring to become a video editor. Great communication skills can land you your dream job or project so don’t be shy to network and approach your favorite creator to build a strong portfolio. Teamwork makes the dream work, and you might find yourself in a position to edit videos collaboratively, so being a team player is key. Attention to detail is not a skill to overlook, even if you’re referring to the big picture in your aspiring video editor journey. Last but not least, being truly passionate about the entire creative process, where technicality meets art, will get you wherever you wish to be.
We all have to start somewhere, and the big break might be just around the corner, it’s a great idea to start building your video portfolio by seeking out pro bono projects. The very first few experiences help you gain invaluable insights and feedback that can only open doors to better opportunities. Internships are a great idea that can up your video editor skills through real examples of client work.
We recommend that you showcase your portfolio publicly, preferably on a website where anyone can look you up and where you can let potential clients know you’re up for collaborations. Your video portfolio should comprise carefully curated video projects that showcase your expertise by demonstrating creativity and high adaptability, so don’t sweat it too much. High-quality footage deserves high-quality feedback, so don’t shy away from consensually displaying client testimonials within your portfolio. Constructive feedback is inevitable and, truthfully, a blessing, so take all the advice you can get and mix it with creativity and critical thinking to improve your video editor skills and, ultimately, your video editing portfolio.
Landing jobs in editing videos is not necessarily a piece of cake, but it’s a goal you can achieve with some dedication and by gaining experience. Start by learning video editing basics and slowly work your way up to more advanced features and techniques. If your dream is to become a freelance video editor, perhaps the most important thing is to build a strong portfolio where you can showcase your best work. Remember that jobs in editing videos are on the rise, and networking with professionals in the industry, brands, or creators are safe way to stay up to date with the market demand. Actively seeking roles in video editing is a great idea, so if you’re too shy to message the recruiter who’s got your dream job up for grabs, don’t hesitate to take your shot.
The road to turning passion into a profession may have both ups and downs, but seeing your dream to become a video editor turn into reality is worth all the hard work, dedication, and many hours spent on getting that L cut right. After all, turning your hobby into a career is a transition in itself, and we believe that passion and determination can get you there.
1 . How to start freelance video editing?
Start by reaching out to small local businesses and go for pro bono projects to build a portfolio that showcases your work. Try specializing in a sought-after video editing feature, such as a Chroma key video editor, and network with other peers to find gigs.
2. How to become a video creator?
- Draw inspiration from your favorite video creators
- Pick a video editor that works out for you
- Practice as much as you can and build a portfolio to showcase your work
- Spread the word and share your work on social media
- Network with other video creators and go for collaborations that can boost visibility
3. What programs do movie editors use?
Movie editors are all about optimizing their workflow, so naturally, that means they’re using lightning-fast editing programs. Flixier is a great example of an online video editor that gives great render speeds thanks to its powerful servers.
4. What is a good video editor for YouTube?
Flixier is the best video editing app for YouTube that’s jam-packed with state-of-the-art video editing features to help you with visual storytelling. Not to mention you can edit YouTube Shorts just as seamlessly, all with the same tool.
5. How do I edit videos for YouTube?
Start by using a great tool to edit YouTube videos and work your way around effects, transitions, motion titles and graphics, subtitles, and other cool features that can make your video more engaging. Go for royalty-free music and stick to platform guidelines on video length and aspect ratio. Don’t forget about YouTube SEO.
6. What editing software do YouTubers use?
So many countries, so many customs, and so many video editing software options. YouTubers’ personal preferences in terms of video editing tools are not always public info, so don’t rely on this information alone, but rather experiment with multiple options and choose your own favorite video editor.
7. How to change a video to audio?
The fastest way to change a video to audio is to use an audio extractor tool that does not mess up the quality and allows you to perform further edits on your newly converted audio file.
8. How to change the video background?
A great technique for changing the video background is to use Flixier’s green screen feature. The great news is this feature not only works with “green screens” but also with other solid colors, so try experimenting with it.
9. What editing software is the best?
It’s hard to cherry-pick the absolute best video editing software, which is why you need to consider the main variables that make one of these tools stand out: efficiency, features, speed, pricing, and quality. Flxiier is an example of such a video editor that checks all the right boxes.
10. What do you need to know to be a video editor?
- Visual design
- Storytelling techniques
- Strong knowledge of video editing software
- Communication skills
11. What are the rules of video editing?
- Plan your content by creating a video script
- Select the right footage to cut and trim
- Make smart use of the right transitions
- Don’t neglect adding music to video and sound effects
12. How do I edit an existing video?
It’s easy to edit an existing video with this lightning-fast online video editor that encompasses any tool you might need for your multimedia project.
13. How can I edit videos more efficiently?
Save time and effort with AI video editing that automates your entire workflow process by automatically generating subtitles or voiceovers.
14. How long should it take to edit a video?
There is no standard time stamp you can put on video editing, as this depends on the editor’s experience, the complexity and length of the video project, footage, and rounds of feedback. However, you can save time by using Flixier to edit at super speed.